Friday, September 30, 2011

The Disreputable History of Frankie Landau-Banks

The Disreputable History of Frankie Landau-Banks 
E. Lockhart
Fiction (A combination of romance, action adventure, and realistic fiction)
Reviewed by: Chameleon333
For ages 14+ (as far as I can remember nothing too controversial but the vocabulary is advanced) 

Frankie Landau-Banks, also referred to as Bunny Rabbit by family, is treated like a stupid little girl who can’t take care of herself (even though she’s 15). Little do they know that Frankie is extremely intelligent and all this suppression is about to make her burst.

When Frankie attends her sophomore year at the elite preparatory school Alabaster (her father’s alma mater) Matthew Livingston, senior boy, grammar Nazi, and Frankie’s crush, finally notices her and the trouble begins. See Frankie knows something’s going on. That something is the Loyal Order of the Basset Hounds, a secret society of some of the most popular and influential boys at Alabaster. The problem is they’re not so secret to Frankie (her father was one, of course) and she wants IN.

That should be good enough to get you interested because I don’t want to give too much away. This was a great read. My favorite aspect was the narration and language use. It was really unique and made me wanted to keep reading even when I couldn’t. I read this book in like 24 hours (split over 2 days because one day I was in NYC and couldn't read) if that tells you how much I liked it (because, as you’ll learn, I’m a VERY slow reader).

I’m not sure if I like the fact that the story opened with a letter from Frankie to her headmaster that she actually writes at the end of the novel. In one hand, it got me interested and gave a little bit of info. to help me understand the plot better, but on the other, it kind of gave away what was going to happen and was hard to understand without having read the story. It’s one of those things you go back to at the end and it all makes sense.

Overall I really liked this book. It was a refreshing read with a few chapters that really made me think differently about the world. Frankie is quite the character and although I was slightly disappointed in the ending, I loved this novel.

Fun Excerpt Time!

This is one of my favorite parts of the novel (because the day I started this book we had a discussion with family friends this) so I’ll give you a small sneak peek:

“Now I’m gruntled.”
“What?”
“Gruntled. I was disgruntled before.”
“Why?”
“It’s drizzling, there’s nothing to do but study, the vending machine’s broken. You know, disgruntled..”
“And now, you’re…”
“Gruntled.”

Oh Frankie how I love you and your imaginary neglected positives :)

Rating: I’d give this book a solid 8 out of 10

Now that The Disreputable History of Frankie Landau-Banks has been read and thoroughly reviewed, it has been deemed suitable to be inducted into the Best of YA: For Fiction Fanatics

No comments:

Post a Comment

Remember: Any comments that do not pertain to the topic at hand, are inappropriate, or not acceptable in any way WILL be deleted.